Here are some recent troubling facts about Myanmar:
- Women and children are most acutely affected by violence, which includes rape
- Nearly a half million children require humanitarian assistance (UNICEF)
- Nearly a quarter million people remain internally displaced
- The displaced live in inhumane conditions in heavily overcrowded camps, often in extreme heat or cold
- Many camps lack adequate bathroom facilities, fostering disease
- There are currently over one million Myanmar refugees displaced throughout the world
- 40,000 people are missing and presumed dead (United Nations)
- Rampant violence is a serious concern to world agencies, including the UN
- There is a scarcity of reliable internal data about Myanmar (World Bank)
- Displaced families have been walking barefoot across borders and rivers, desperately searching for refuge.
Islamic Relief USA implements emergency relief projects that provide shelter, deliver emergency health services, and distribute core relief items to displaced people and refugees. Our work in ranges from dozens of programs that address healthcare to shelter to education to psychological care to temporary shelter, especially within the Cox’s Bazaar refugee camp. We partner with UNHCR for several programs.
We also responded with immediacy to the flooding in 2018 and continue to make sure the aid you donate to families in need from Myanmar reaches them in the best way possible.