India’s vast population size and rapid growth mean that while the percent of Indians living in poverty has fallen, the absolute number of individuals living in poverty in India’s poorest states has actually increased.
Recent 2018 flooding in the Kerala region was India’s largest flood and landslide in the last century. Hundreds of thousands were displaced, and lives were lost.
Did you know…
- One-third of India’s population survives on less than $1.25 a day, accounting for approximately 1/3 of the world’s poor
- Almost half of all children in India are moderately or severely stunted in growth
- 1 in every 3 of the world’s malnourished children live in India (UNICEF)
- Malnutrition is a common occurrence
- Educational opportunities for women and girls are disproportionate to those of men and boys
Islamic Relief has been working in India since 1994, often collaborating with local relief organizations to ensure that assistance is delivered as quickly and efficiently as possible. Islamic Relief India opened in 2008 to implement development programs to help alleviate growing needs for humanitarian aid.
IRUSA’s range of projects in India include:
- emergency flood relief (immediate relief and ongoing disaster resilience)
- direct food aid, including Qurbani meat and Ramadan food boxes
- orphan sponsorship and support
- educational programs